60 Miles, 3 Days, 1 Goal

I am walking in my 2nd Michigan Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure in August 2011. The day after I completed my 1st 3-Day I logged into the Susan G. Komen website and registered for next year's event.

Was the walk easy? No. So why sign up again? Because I can! I can raise the awareness, I can raise the funds, I can walk the walk! And this year I am fortunate enough to have my sister join me on this awesome journey. There are thousands of 3-Day walkers who can't walk with their sisters, I embrace this year's journey with every ounce of gratitude!!

Please follow along as Jennifer and I fundraise, train, raise awareness, possibly argue, and find out more about each other than we ever imagined!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lessons Learned

I am very grateful for my children – they are healthy, full of optimism, innocence and willing to help!

This weekend Jen and I are conducting a neighborhood bottle/can drive, so I asked the kids if they would go pass out, through the neighborhood, our flyers that are attached to pink garbage bags. Without hesitation they both said yes and they were eager to do it. Now, I thought for sure when I told them I wanted them to knock on doors and physically hand the information to as many people as possible as opposed to just sticking it in the door, I would get refusal. Nope, they both started “rehearsing” what they would say when someone answered the door! So out they went on Sunday afternoon and Tuesday evening knocking on doors and talking to the neighbors about what their aunt and mom were doing.

I am so proud of them and very grateful they could help me out this way. Along their route they learned that a woman down the street from us is a breast cancer survivor, a very young woman around the corner just finished battling breast cancer and another woman around the corner is currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer. Alyssa said to me “Mom, we only went on 4 blocks and there was almost a woman on each block that has had or has breast cancer! We have to collect as many bottles as possible – we’ll help put more fliers out!” I think this was a good lesson for both kids, because I know this entire journey since January 2010 has been a life changing lesson for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment