60 Miles, 3 Days, 1 Goal

I am walking in my 2nd Michigan Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure in August 2011. The day after I completed my 1st 3-Day I logged into the Susan G. Komen website and registered for next year's event.

Was the walk easy? No. So why sign up again? Because I can! I can raise the awareness, I can raise the funds, I can walk the walk! And this year I am fortunate enough to have my sister join me on this awesome journey. There are thousands of 3-Day walkers who can't walk with their sisters, I embrace this year's journey with every ounce of gratitude!!

Please follow along as Jennifer and I fundraise, train, raise awareness, possibly argue, and find out more about each other than we ever imagined!

Friday, July 15, 2011

Back to Back Training Walk!

This weekend Jen & I will take on our first high mileage back-to-back training walks of the 2011 season. On Saturday we are scheduled to walk 18 miles at Stoney Creek and on Sunday we will walk 15 miles in the Metro Beach area. This is our "dress rehearsal" for the 3-Day event (which is only 1 month away!). This is when we will get all our whining out of our system, find out the nuances of long-distance walking, and know what our bodies will feel like “the next morning”. Right now the forecast is typical for July in Michigan – HOT! So, we will adorn ourselves in pink tanks and ball caps, lube our feet, lace up our shoes and head out during the wee hours of the morning in hopes of finishing before any oppressive heat and humidity sets in.

Our fanny/hydration packs will be packed with everything we will carry on event which includes: Vaseline, extra pair of socks, lip balm, mini first aid kit, wet wipes, sunblock, hand sanitizer, bandanas & buffs, tissues, poncho, camera, binder clip & zip ties. We will load up a cooler, to keep in the car, filled with water, Gatorade, lunch and snacks.

Undoubtedly, the most important thing we will have is each other!

Only 4 weeks to go until Michigan walkers hit the pavement in one of the biggest and boldest challenges to put an end to breast cancer. I know that many of you who read mine or Jen’s blogs know other walkers participating in this year’s event, so don’t forget you can send a letter or card to your walker which they will receive at camp during the event. Your words of encouragement really help keep the walkers motivated!!

Must be postmarked by August 2, 2011
3-Day for the Cure
ATTN: Participant’s Name
PO BOX 699
South Lyon, MI 48178

No comments:

Post a Comment